Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Random Q's for Joshua Mohr

Joshua Mohr is a writer who we publish. His book, Some Things That Meant the World to Me was our first "bestseller." Not too shabby for a debut novel. We'll be publishing Josh's second novel, From a Fragile Galaxy, next summer. He recently took the time to answer a few burning questions for us, which were weighing heavily on our collective minds. I'm relieved now that we've gotten this all sorted out.

Ed: Who's your favorite romance novelist?

JM: Jeez, it’s so hard to choose just one. There’s an obscure Icelandic writer named Halldor Grimmson Shecklimzan. He’s found really inventive ways to use the phrase “throbbing member.” Of course, he hits the old classics: “She held his throbbing member” and “His throbbing member entered her exquisitely…” etc. etc. But Grimmson Shecklimzan is introducing new literary zingers into the vernacular: “Stop, or my throbbing member will shoot!” and, my personal favorite, “You can lead a throbbing member to water but you can’t make it drink.”

Ed: This is a two-parter: why did you name your main character Rhonda, and why is his name tattooed on your wrist?

JM: The name Rhonda is derived from the Latin word, Rhondusnixme, which loosely translates to “One with rotten rhythm and startling gingivitis.” An ex-lover who was an asthmatic used to make a similar sounding noise when she had an orgasm: Rhondusnixme, Rhondusnixme, Rhondusnixme, Rhondusnixme… even after we went our separate ways, I always felt an intimate connection to the name Rhondusnixme, therefore Rhonda seemed a natural choice for the book.The tattoo, though, is a bird of a different feather. I got it under false pretenses—the tattooist told me that her name was Rhonda, and if I let her ink it on my skin, she and I would have a torrid affair. Let’s just say I’m still waiting to hear her sing Rhondusnixme in the throes of our promised passion. I’m optimistic. She must have misplaced my number.

Ed: If you were going to mouth-fuck any member of the Beatles who would it be?

JM: McCartney. The reason? Every song he’s written since the Beatles broke up.

No comments: