Friday, July 23, 2010

SF Chronicle: Termite Parade is "similar to Dostoyevsky's 'Crime and Punishment.'"

I'm a pretty excitable cat. Temperamental, moody diva? Manic pain in the ass? Yes, these are titles I'm familiar with, have heard once or twice over the years. I'm man enough to admit that.

So this weekend is making me crazy, in the best way. I'm bouncing off the walls. First, the San Francisco Chronicle reviewed Termite Parade today. I'd like to thank the reviewer, Evan Karp, for giving the novel such a close read, taking the time to dig into the story's cracks. Evan also runs a local reading series in SF called Quiet Lightning. The next one is on August 2nd at the Rickshaw Stop.

Here's a pull from his text:

"The book is similar to Dostoevsky's 'Crime and Punishment': the most crucial action serves as a portal to and wellspring for the various psychologies of its characters. But Mohr's storytelling is so absorbing that 'Termite Parade' does not read like an analytical rumination; if he is examining the very nature of these characters under a microscope, he at least lets the specimens speak for themselves."

Then on Sunday, The New York Times Book Review will weigh in with their thoughts. I've always struggled with insomnia, but waiting to hear/read my first NY Times review? I haven't slept more than 10 hours all week! I'm a train-wreck... a bigger train-wreck (thanks, peanut gallery). Please cross your fingers; I need all the help I can get.

And finally, I just tattooed my publisher's, Two Dollar Radio's, logo on my arm. You can see it in the pic above: hint, it's the only image that looks like a two dollar radio...

1 comment:

Barbara Browning said...

Just read your fantastic review in the Times! Congratulations!