Saturday, September 26, 2009

Better For You Than Spinach

Over at The Millions they got together a slew of folks and compiled a list of their favorite reads of the new millennium, in a post they dubbed "The Best of the Millennium." Most of the predictable big dogs are represented on the list (either in The Millions poll or that of their readers), which isn't a bad thing -- there's a reason writers win Pulitzers and other such awards -- and there are some pleasant surprises, like Kelly Link and Lynne Tillman.

Whenever I see a list I have to make my own. Rather than proclaim it to be my own favorite books of the new millennium, I'll say that it's simply comprised of those books published this century that I know I'll recommend far into the future. And, I'll refrain from listing any Two Dollar Radio titles, since my decision to publish them should be a recommendation on its own.

Here are some of my favorite reads published since 2000:

Zeroville, by Steve Erickson
I'm in awe of Erickson's creativity and imagination.

Moira Orfei in Aigues-Mortes, by Wayne Koestenbaum
This is a brilliant and hilarious book, original and outrageously quirky.

Chinese Takeout, by Arthur Nersesian
My second favorite Nersesian novel (behind Manhattan Loverboy).

Do Everything in the Dark, by Gary Indiana
I frequently re-read the first several chapters of this novel repeatedly for inspiration. It's so beautiful it gives me chills.

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
Outer Dark is in my top-five list. I genuinely love McCarthy.

Southland, by Nina Revoyr
A safe bet to recommend to high-schoolers, aunts, etc.
All My Friends Are Superheroes, by Andrew Kaufman
This book is sweet, poetic, creative, and tender.
God Jr, by Dennis Cooper
Dennis Cooper, Dennis Cooper, Dennis Cooper. (That's me chanting.)
Interpreter of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri
She's good.

No comments: