Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Author Jonathan Evison interviews me for 3G1B

J. Evison's first novel "All About Lulu" is a solid read. I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advanced copy of his next, "West of Here," that hits stores February 2011. Let me tell you: Evison can write his ass off. WOH is so good, in fact, I'm predicting awards for it. Pulitzer? National Book Award? I'm calling my shot. Just remember where you heard it first, people...

Evison was nice enough to instigate a dialogue with me. In it, we discuss my penchant for squalor, vampires on submarines... you know, the usual. He also asked about my relationship with my publisher, Two Dollar Radio. Here's part of my response:

JM: I’m very comfortable on the fringe. I like that role of being underestimated. There are very few expectations of me, and so if something goes well, it’s just gravy. I feel like I’m playing with house money… except in this particular example there’s no money. Or a house.

Thanks, Herr Evison for asking such thoughtful questions. It was a stunning asylum from the normal batch of obvious ones, like: "Hey man, do you write with a pen or on a laptop?" Why would anybody really fucking care what the answer is to that?

No comments: